The Red Oil is Ready!

Leer en español.

In the first post of this blog, I wrote about Saint John's Wort and its medicinal uses. After four weeks, the infused oil that I prepared is now ready. As you can see, it took a bright red color, very different from the first photo I posted (taken just two of days after the flowers were harvested and mixed with the oil). 
The red color comes from the substances contained in the plant. In my experience, exposure to the sun (both of the plant and of the oil while it is in preparation) plays an important role. The first time I made St. John's Wort oil (or "Red Oil", as it is simply known here in Germany), was in 2015. That year wasn't particularly sunny in the early summer months, and I remember having to look hard to find blooming St. John's Wort plants. The oil that I made back then only took a light orange tone, very different from this new batch. 

Once it is ready, the oil needs to be strained to remove the flowers, and should be stored in a dark place. It can be used as a massage oil, to treat muscle pain, cuts, scratches, scars or minor burns. 

Comments

Popular Posts