Summer and Sunflowers

Leer en español.

Summer is here, and things are growing in the garden. The eggplants have now set fruit, and my tomatoes are starting to turn red. It was very good to start everything earlier in the house this year (I have to recognize that it was my husband's idea), as this has given them some head start and has allowed them to produce flowers and fruit much earlier.  In the case of the tomatoes, for example, last year I planted them and took them out later, and they only began producing fruit in late August and September, when it was already getting too cold for them to ripen properly in the plant. So it seems that this year we will enjoy eggplants and tomatoes right in summer!

After a very slow start, the eggplants (variety Violetta Lunga) are now growing at an amazing speed. 

Another of summer's pleasures is to see the sunflowers growing. I started them from seed and honestly thought that they wouldn't be so successful here in Germany, but this summer has been quite sunny, and it seems that I chose a good spot, so they are happy. It's also beautiful to see how they attract bumblebees. 



Comments

Popular Posts